Bison Shank Noodle Soup
- Base Stock
- 2 Kgs beef or game marrow bones
- 2 pcs white onions
- 1/2 cup fried garlic
- 1/2 cup shallots sliced
- Noodle Soup
- 6-8 pcs of Taiwanese style wide dried rice noodles
- 1 1/2 kg bison shanks
- 2 litres of stock
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp chilli garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp. Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 pcs star anise
- 6 spring onions, white parts only and chopped
- 1/2-inch ginger, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- fish sauce
- vegetable oil
- 2 bunches of bok choy
- spring onions chopped
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a day ahead, in a stock pot add the beef or game marrow bones and fill it with enough water to cover the top, bring it to a boil and wait until scum rises to the top.
- Turn heat off then drain and rinse the bones, remove any scum on the pot as well as the one on the bones.
- Place bones back into the clean stock pot together with remaining base stock ingredients apart from the tendons, pour two litres of water then bring to a boil, once boiling lower heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Let it cool and once it cooled down place it in the refrigerator.
- Next day, remove stock from the fridge then remove any solidified fat that rose on top, leave a little a bit of fat adds some flavour.
- Heat stock up just enough to melt the solidified collagen, then drain stock to another pot using a fine sieve. Set clear broth aside.
- In a large pot add oil then brown bison shanks on all sides, remove bison from pot then set aside.
- Sauté the spring onions, ginger and garlic.
- Combine the soy sauce and chilli garlic sauce then pour into the pot, sauté until fragrant.
- Pour the stock then add the bison, cooking wine, sugar, and star anise. Bring to a boil, skimming any scum that rises on the top. Simmer in low heat for 2 hour or until bison is fork tender, add water if necessary and to adjust taste. Season with fish sauce.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
- Blanch the bok choy.
- Place noodles into bowls together with some blanched bok choy, scoop some broth and bison into the bowls.
- Serve with chopped spring onions, soy sauce and sesame oil on the side