Fennel Scented Magret Duck Breast with Stewed Black Pepper Strawberries
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
4 cups cold water
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds chopped
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
Three 12-ounce duck breasts
1 pint strawberries
2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. wild flower honey
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp rough ground Black Pepper
Roasted Red onion:
1 pc Red onion
1 tsp Olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tsp Olive oil
1. In a small skillet, toast the peppercorns and fennel seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spices to a large bowl and add the water, fennel bulb and fronds, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt. Whisk to dissolve the salt. Add the duck breasts to the bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Take a sharp paring knife and hull the strawberries by slicing away their green leaves.
3. Heat up a large sauce pot over medium high heat with the extra virgin olive oil and warm until the oil runs fast in the bottom of the pot. Gently place the strawberries and black pepper in, ensuring not to splash the oil. Turn the heat down to medium and continue sautéing the strawberries until they begin to break down slightly, move them around gently, being sure to not tear the strawberries. Add the Honey and apple cider vinegar. Continue to cook for approx. 5 minutes, until a sauce has formed and reduced slightly to a nice sauce consistency, set aside.
4. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast, flipping once, until caramelized and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Then aside.
5. Remove the duck from the marinade and pat dry; season with salt and pepper. In a large, ovenproof skillet, arrange the duck skin side down and cook over moderate heat until browned, about 12 minutes. Turn the duck breasts skin side up and transfer the skillet to the oven; cook until medium-rare, about 7 minutes. Transfer the duck to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the breasts crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
6. Place the duck breast slices down on your plates and arrange the Strawberries around the duck breast artfully, sauce each strawberry with a little bit of the sauce from the Strawberries. Then arrange the roasted red onion in a similar fashion. Garnish with the Rocket arugula and a few splashes of extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!